Actually, they’re not support. It’s a scam.
The call starts with: “Hello, I am calling from Windows support,” or “I’m calling on behalf of Microsoft’s Certified Technician Team.”
The caller ID is no help. They’re from all over the place. We’ve seen:
- 6752 6752
- New York NY (12127894566)
- Private Caller
If you take the call, they’ll tell you a story…
- You are getting errors on your computer and I’m calling to help you.
- We are getting messages your computer is producing errors….I can help you with that.
- Please switch on your computer and go to www.whatever.he.told.me.2.go.to.ms
Don’t believe them. It’s a scam.
- NEVER give out your credit card information
- NEVER follow their advice and go to a website they point you to
- NEVER let them access your computer remotely
We just hang up, we don’t even talk to them. But if you feel like you need to be polite, say “Thank you, I have a tech support guy. All taken care of!” and THEN hang up.
Here are some places to learn more.